JOB TITLE: Accounts & Administrative Assistant
DUTY STATION: Kampala, Uganda
Women Human Rights Defenders Network Uganda (WHRDN-U), is a registered not for profit national network with a membership of more than 97 women organizations and individuals. The WHRDN-U, was founded in 2017 by women defenders to promote a feminist holistic approach integrating a gender perspective, focusing on building supportive networks and coordination among WHRDs from diverse social movements and causes in Uganda. Thereby building the capacity for protection of WHRDs, offering protection and emergency response for WHRDs at risk, and Advocacy for protection of WHRDs.
The Women Human Rights Defenders Network Uganda (WHRDN-U ) seeks to recruit an Accounts & Administrative Assistant with effect from January October 2020.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Examination of Payment Requests
- Ensure proper financial procedures/systems are operated and maintained, ensure compliance with WHRDN-
U’s financial policy and set accounting standards
- Examine payment requests and other financial transactions for approval and ensure there are adequate supporting documentation in accordance with organizational financial policy, and donor guidelines.
- Prepare, update the relevant records, ensure approvals and issue cheques
- Ensure consistency of support documents and compliance with other guidelines of payment vouchers, accountability etc
- Issue cash as approved and update cash position
Financial Record Keeping
- Maintain an accurate up to date financial records
- Receive and record all funds received
- Review, attach receipt, stamp and file all vouchers and JVs
- Update the cash position and follow up their approval
Support the development of budgets
- Support in the development of budgets in line with WHRDN-U policies and donor requirements
- Support the preparation of financial costing and formulate budget estimates
Keeping stores records
- Plan, issue out items, monitor and keep up-to-date-stores records
- Verify stock balances and initiative the order and procurement process, , forward for approval as required.
- Verify, receive and record stock and forward for approval
- Update and maintain all stock record recording according to policy
- Carry out stock taking, arrange and carry out general cleaning
Reconciliation of Financial Records
- Analyze, monitor and reconcile financial records in line with WHRDN-U policies, accounting standards and statutory requirements
- Receive and file all monthly Bank statements, perform reconciliation and produce bank reconciliation statements
- Make reference to vouchers and JVs
- Perform cash counts, reports, request and withdraw bank cash and carry out cheques-banking
Support with Audits
- Support in preparation and attend to the needs of auditors and implement recommendations in line with financial policy
- Prepare audit schedules as requested by auditors and support in the development pf audit timetable
- Participate in follow-up responses and clear audit issues.
Preparation of the Payroll
- Prepare monthly payroll and ensure completeness and timely submission of statutory deductions to relevant authorities (URA, NSSF and Local Government)
- Request, compile and consolidate payroll information
- Compile tax information, fill the URA tax returns forms, file the return on URA web and upload payment, submit the payment registration and URA returns to bank and URA respectively.
- Assist in ensuring compliance with national regulations in respect of financial and other matters e.g taxation and labour laws;
- Provide substantive support to the development and implementation of accounting systems;
- Serve as the Admin. Assistant;
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce, Business Administration, Financial Management or Accounting from a recognized University.
- At least three years of similar work experience in an NGO / Civil Society Organization
- Computerized accounting skills
- MS Office
- Communication, Analytical, Interpersonal skills
- Ability to establish critical working relationships
- Keen interest in women’s rights, gender equality, women empowerment and human rights
- Relevant professional qualification such as ACCA or CPA and training in donor regulations is an added
How to apply;
All suitably qualified and interest candidates should send their application letters with detailed CVs indicating 3 referees, two of whom should have been direct supervisors and addressed to the Executive Director and submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. OR hand-delivery to our physical office;
Women Human Rights Defenders Network Uganda
Plot Plot 1789 Old Kira Road Bukoto
Important to note:
The closing date for receiving applications is 23rd November 2020.This position is restricted to female candidates.