JOB TITLE: VOLUNTEER
DUTY STATION: Kampala, Uganda
Women Human Rights Defenders Network Uganda (WHRDN-U), is a registered not for profit national network with a membership of more than 97 women organizations and individuals. The WHRDN-U, was founded in 2017 by women defenders to promote a feminist holistic approach integrating a gender perspective, focusing on building supportive networks and coordination among Women Human Rights Defenders (WHRDs) from diverse social movements and causes in Uganda. Thereby building the capacity for protection of WHRDs, offering protection and emergency response for WHRDs at risk, and Advocacy for protection of WHRDs.
Our work includes:
- Capacity building for protection of Women Human Rights Defenders
- Protection and emergency support to Women Human Rights Defenders at risk
- Advocacy, networking and gender documentation
Job summary: The Volunteer will support WHRDN-U and should be willing to join a growing organization. The incumbent will gain experience in project management at a national feminist organization and take part in promoting the rights and protection of WHRDs as well as raising the visibility of the violence and risks WHRDs face.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- To develop work plans/operationalise plans for the capacity building department
- Facilitate trainings in technical topics, including Feminist Holistic Approach to protection, gender sensitive risk analysis etc.
- Develop clear capacity building work plan with clear objectives and time lines.
- Assisting with organizing workshops, meetings and working group meetings and assist in communication to participants, production and dissemination of agendas and other materials needed
- Establish capacity building periodic meetings for WHRDN-U members on advocacy, needs assessment and protection issues.
- Develop and adapt training materials (handouts, manuals, presentations, etc.) and tools to monitor effectiveness of trainings, including pre and post-tests;
- Work on updating training material, modules and tools, develop facilitation guides, etc. as requested
- Track how capacity building initiatives have translated into real protection for WHRDs.
- Assisting with the development and implementation of conceptnotes for special trainings, events, conferences,
- Cooperating with the Advocacy and Communications department to implement advocacy activities seeking to enhance the protection of WHRDs.;
- Cooperating with the Protection and Emergency Response Department to implement advocacy activities seeking to enhance the protection of WHRDs.
- Develop relevant work plans (weekly, monthly, & quarterly)
- Provide timely comprehensive reports as stipulated by WHRDN-U.
The ideal candidate should preferably hold a university degree in development studies, humanities, social sciences, or related field.
A minimum of 1 years’ experience working with an NGO, Women rights Organization, Human Rights Organization with experience working in project management.
General specifications applicable to the position;
- The ideal candidate for the Volunteer vacancy should be conversant implementing a project, comfortable with conducting trainings, public speaking and good writing skills
- Demonstrated ability to write reports, concept notes, workplans and budgets
- Ability to work under pressure, multi-task and learn new concepts quickly
- Collaborative, eexcellent team playerand able to work dynamically and diligently without direct supervision
- Keen interest in women’s rights, fighting against gender-based violence and promoting gender equality
- Result-oriented with good interpersonal skills
- AGE: Between 22-30 years
NB: This is a paid volunteer position.
How to apply;
All suitably qualified and interest candidates should send their aapplication letters with detailed CVs indicating 3 referees, two of whom should have been direct supervisors and addressed to the Executive Director and submitted to email@example.com. OR hand-delivery to our physical office;
The Executive Director
Women Human Rights Defenders Network Uganda
Plot Plot 1789 Old Kira Road Bukoto
Important to note:
The closing date for receiving applications is 23rd November 2020.This position is restricted to female candidates.