WOMEN HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENDERS NETWORK UGANDA (WHRDN-U)
1. INTERN VACANCY
JOB TITLE: Online Communications Intern
DUTY STATION: Kampala, Uganda
Women Human Rights Defenders Network Uganda (WHRDN-U), is a registered not for profit national network with a membership of more than 97 women organizations and individuals. The WHRDN-U, was founded in 2017 by women defenders to promote a feminist holistic approach integrating a gender perspective, focusing on building supportive networks and coordination among Women Human Rights Defenders (WHRDs) from diverse social movements and causes in Uganda. Thereby building the capacity for protection of WHRDs, offering protection and emergency response for WHRDs at risk, and Advocacy for protection of WHRDs.
Our work includes strategic communications to support advocacy, dialogue, rapid response and encourage solidarity in the face of aggressions against WHRDs in Uganda. This work aims:
- To raise visibility of conditions faced by WHRDs
- Increase recognition of their communities
- Enhance solidarity to support the security of WHRDs
Job summary: The Communication intern will support WHRDN-U and should be a technologically knowledgeable, creative and willing to join a growing organization. The incumbent will gain experience in online communications at a national feminist organization and take part in promoting the rights and protection of WHRDs as well as raising the visibility of the violence and risks WHRDs face.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Take lead in online content creation and social media management.
- Manage the implementation of our social media strategy, including the development, curation and timely posting of engaging, thoughtful, and powerful content on our social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter and Youtube).
- The incumbent will also contribute to content development for our website. This will include maintaining and strengthening our web interactions with partners, donors, members of WHRDN-U, and the broader public.
- The Jobholder will also help us grow our audience, strengthen our engagement with them and think through new strategies and next steps.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the communications intern vacancy should be conversant with social media and online content creation; comfortable with diverse analytic and aggression platorms; has basic graphic design skills.
- Keen interest in women’s rights, promoting gender equality and women empowerment
- Collaborative and able to work dynamically and diligently without direct supervision
- Results-oriented, interested in learning and recommending new approaches or tech solutions
- Age : Below 30 years
NB: This is unpaid internship. If the intern is based in Kampala, a transport allowance will be provided.
How to apply;
All suitably qualified and interest candidates should send their application letters with detailed CVs indicating 3 referees, two of whom should have been direct supervisors and addressed to the Executive Director and submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Executive Director
Women Human Rights Defenders Network Uganda
Plot Plot 1789 Old Kira Road Bukoto
Important to note:
The closing date for receiving applications is 23rd November 2020.This position is restricted to female candidates.